Friday, May 23, 2014

Waiting

If you apply to any of the Department of State scholarships you will spend forever waiting. So far, in one application cycle of YES Abroad and NSLIY I have had 9 countdowns + "Last Day of School"

NSLIY Application deadline (November 7th)- The first and most painless of the countdowns because at that point I was mostly applying because why not?

NSLIY semi notification (December 8th)- This one was also pretty easy because I was hard at work with my YES application (YES was my 1st choice anyway) and I also wasn't expecting it until later in December.

YES Abroad Application deadline (January 15th)- This one was a little more stressful because I was scrambling to make sure my essays were exactly how I wanted them and I CONSTANTLY was changing country rankings.

YES semi notification (February 28th)- This was a really long wait, about 50 days I think. A great distraction was the YES Abroad Facebook group and my YES group message with Victoria (Indonesia), Eileen (India), Faber (Macedonia), Vatrelle (CBYX), Abeeha, Brandon (Thailand), Emily (Thailand), and Baillie (Indonesia). By the way, if you are an applicant reading this a HUGE tip is get to know some of the other applicants! If you make it to IPSE, they will be a big encouragement!

IPSE (March 21st)- This was a 22 day wait and I was really excited to go to IPSE but the wait went by pretty fast! I am currently working on an IPSE post but it's really hard to describe such a magical 3 days so it will take me a while. Something the semifinalists on the Facebook group did during this wait that was fun is we had a question of the day everyday to get to know each other!

YES finalist notification (April 12th)- For me, this wait went pretty fast except for the last 3-4 days which were S O  S L O W. Once I got my wonderful and surprising email, this wait was totally worth it!

NSLIY finalist notification (Rolling Mid April)- This wait was pretty much non-existent for me because I had already accepted Bosnia. I know some YES kids really had a hard time with this one though because for some people accepted into YES were also considering NSLIY but did not yet know if they had been accepted.

 ----------

Last day of School (11 days-June 5th)- I can not wait for school to be done, but I will also miss some aspects of it. For instance, a lot of my friends are juniors so this will be my last year with them at school. On the other hand, it will be nice to be able to focus on learning Bosnian and not school.

PDO (32 days-June 24th)- I really really really cannot wait to be reunited with all the finalists at PDO! It's sad that we won't get to see all the people that were at IPSE because are were all amazing people who will all be doing something great next year no matter where they are!

Bosnia (82 days-About August 15th)- This is only an estimated date but it totally has not hit me yet. In less than ninety days I will be in a country trying to speak a language that eight months ago, I didn't even know existed. I will probably have more posts about this this summer as it gets even CLOSER.

These countdowns have consumed the past seven/eight months of my life and I'm sure once I get back from Bosnia the waiting will continue with a countdown until I go back!

Sarajevo

No comments:

Post a Comment