Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Beginning

Today is my 11th day in Sarajevo and it's great! Here's a little run down of the first couple days. Sorry this is so late but my internet wouldn't let me
post for a while.

Thursday August, 14th- I left my house for the airport at 4AM for my 7AM flight. I ended up getting there way too early and I got bumped to a 5:45 flight. They said it was because I would miss my connection at O'Hare with my 7AM flight but that totally was not why considering MSP-ORD is a 1 hr and 15 min flight and my connection was at 11:15. They probably overbooked and were trying to cover it up. Since my luggage was checked with the 7AM flight I was a little worried they might lose it. I sat next to a guy in a John Kerry blue suit so that was funny. So I arrived at ORD around 7, ate a gross chicken ceasar wrap, and waited until around 11 for my flight to Dulles. I arrived at Dulles around 1:30 and met with the other Bosnia and Macedonia YES Abroad kids and Skye. We all sat at the Munich (Bosnia's layover) gate until about 4 when we said goodbye to the Macedonia kids and they headed off to their gate for their first stop, Vienna. We boarded our plane to Munich at 4:50PMish.I got on, found my seat (window seat!!), and sat down. Soon, a man came and sat next to me and started talking to me in rapid German so that was interesting. That flight was long but not much to tell you about.
Bosnia and Macedonia waiting at Dulles

Friday August, 15th- We landed in Munich around 7AM and waited at our gate until we boarded at 10:45AM. This flight was only an hour long but it was Lufthasana so we pretty much got an entire meal. We landed in Sarajevo at 12:30PM, met Selma, Lela, and our new families, then went home. When I got home I basically ate so much that I could not physically force myself to eat more. It was all amazing. We had soup, cabbage rolls, bread, potatoes, cake, and something else. A couple hours after that we went to Old Town Sarajevo, ate cevapi and walked around where the Sarajevo Film Festival is. After that we went home and I went promptly to bed.

 The plane that took us to Bosnia

Saturday August, 16th- Saturday morning the YES Abroad kids had the beginning of our arrival orientation where we learned all about Bosnia and Sarajevo. After that we exchanged our money and went out for lunch. Then we walked around a bit and it started raining so we all went home. When I got home I fell asleep I think(Saturday was kinda a blur)

Sunday- On Sunday there were no scheduled YES activities but I did a lot of things with my family. First, I went walking around Novi Grad and Old Town Sarajevo with my sisters. It was nice because I got to explore Sarajevo a bit more and I figured out how to get to my school. A little later my mom, two sisters, and I went to this street that they close on weekends and my sisters rollerbladed up and down the street. When we went back home we went to this walking path behind their house on the mountains and it had a great view of Sarajevo. After that we ate dinner, watched TV and went to bed.

Meeting our host families at the airport!


Monday- Monday was our first day of Bosnian language classes with our super awesome teacher. We learned a bunch of words and we learned some conjugations. After the language class we met up with Selma again and went to a synagogue, a Catholic church, a Mosque, and a Orthodox church. We then went to a café and walked around Old Town some more.

This was probably pretty boring so sorry about that. Most of my posts won't be like this.

1 comment: